Experiencing China

'Experiencing China' is about ordinary life in China and the wealing and dealing of a Dutchman in the Middle Kingdom. Marc works for DuoArts Consultancy and the Empowerment Foundation, travelling between the Netherlands and China.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Travel West to Guizhou: the Context

It took me days to find a suitable flight to Guiyang, the capital city of Guizhou. I was about to embark on a mission for the Empowerment Foundation. Because of some kind of conference in the capital city Guiyang, it was difficult to get a (cheap) ticket. However, because of good connections, in China really important and called guanxi, I finally got two tickets (the other for the local representative of EF).

In the last week in China, just after the final exams, I wanted to make one final trip. Not that I've travelled a lot during the last five months, but it was time to escape the scorching heat of Beijing with temperatures rizing above 35°C (95°F). I also had been ill for two weeks, stomach problems, just those two weeks before the final exams, studying (and working) as long as my body could handle. Then three days of exams, which, surprisingly, went well. In short, I was fed up with 'dull' Beijing and needed some adventure to get that 'real China feeling'!

The real China feeling!

All reasons stated above were important. However, more important was that the Empowerment Foundation (EF) received its first large donation for one of our two projects in China and that I was eager to visit this project in Guizhou province. Guizhou lies in the south-west of China, a part I have never been able to visit yet and I was curious. Another important reason that I was able to meet the schools director in person and to provide him with the necessary financial and intellectual imput to build out his school and improve the quality of education. This is what EF wants to do: to empower disadvantages individuals and groups by providing them knowledge and money.

As said, I also invited our local representative, Tom Li, to accompany me and thus we together travelled to Baotian, a little village in Guizhou province where the school is situated...


By the way, if you would like to know more about the Empowerment Foundation, just send me an e-mail (duoarts@yahoo.com) or go to the Empowerment Foundation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home