Experiencing China

'Experiencing China' is about ordinary life in China and the wealing and dealing of a Dutchman in the Middle Kingdom. Marc works for DuoArts Consultancy and the Empowerment Foundation, travelling between the Netherlands and China.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Small Talk

Chinese taxi drivers push their cars when they want to move their cars a little.

Chinese have little spoons instead of cotton pads to clean their ears.

Because cleaning ears is considered as difficult to do by themselves, men ask their wife or girlfriend to do the job. It’s considered to be an act of intimacy.



Even in shops with fixed prices you can say ‘pianyi dianr, keyi ma?’ (could I have it a little bit cheaper, please?).

Some male students are not allowed by their parents to have a girlfriend due to financial reasons. In China the man pays for the female and men tend to do this excessively when having a ‘fresh’ girlfriend.

The bigger cities in China do well on recycling bottles. However, this recycling is not enforced by law or endorsed by bottle producing companies, but rather a way to survive for the poor. For every bottle they receive a few fen, which equals the amount of a tenth of a dollar or eurocent.

Yi ping shui (a bottle of water)

When a Chinese remains vague, it probably means he is not interested or cannot provide in your demands.

Many Chinese children from the more wealthy families have serious eating disorders. They are to fat because they are too spoilt by their parents. The parents spoil the kids because they remember the hunger during the Cultural Revolution and because they are allowed to have one child only.

The Chinese from Shandong (a province) have a dish called ‘shy girls’, which is made of the unopened orange flowers of a plant related to the cucumber and melon.

In Yunan province they eat the skin of frogs.

Things we regard as Japanese are in essence Chinese, like Bonsai-trees, Zen Buddhism and the tea ceremony.

Garlic is eaten in large quantities and eaten both fresh and cooked in China.

The Chinese have cheese, made from Tofu (beancurds, soybeans).

Anhui jiu hua shan fou cha, one of the best tea

The Chinese love for green tea is similar to our appreciation for wine and cognac. The better the wine or cognac, the higher the price, up to hundreds of euros or dollars. The same is true for tea. A bag of tea (approximately 500 grams) may cost up to 800 yuan (85 dollars, 78 euro).

Oolong tea (wulongcha), one of the best

8 Comments:

Blogger Bicyclemark said...

This is super educational marc! thanks.

4:29 PM  
Blogger tastypeanutana said...

I was surfing the internet, searching for "WorldLink Education" and I found your blog. I've found it very interesting, especially since I'm learning about 2 different cultures -- Chinese and Dutch (I'm from the US -- Texas, to be specific). I was planning on doing an abroad trip through this company myself (but to Tokyo) and I'd love it if you could tell more about your experiences with them (if you wouldn't mind, of course). My e-mail is stacyeriksson@snail-mail.net .
P.S.: Allow me to compliment you on your English -- I'm very impressed!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Valderbar de Cat said...

Are you well Marc? Any more observations there?

3:55 AM  
Blogger Marc David Brand said...

Valdebar, I'm fine (also see my latest contri). And about the observations: too many!

1:19 PM  
Blogger ah )))))) said...

"pianyi dianr, keyi ma?"

HMMM... I was told that it's a must-do step while shopping in China and it did work all the time!

Interesting observations!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Marc David Brand said...

Hello ah))), I guess you have an easier job bargaining in China. I (unfortunately) can't be mistaken for a Chinese. Marc

9:42 PM  
Blogger D.C. Bowns said...

Hi Marc David Brand, you have a nice blog. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on growing bonsai tree when I found your page. Your site is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on growing bonsai tree then drop by the site above and check it out.

10:43 AM  
Blogger David said...

Hi Marc David Brand, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on how to grow bonsai tree, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about how to grow bonsai tree.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home