Experiencing China

'Experiencing China' is about ordinary life in China and the wealing and dealing of a Dutchman in the Middle Kingdom. Marc works for DuoArts Consultancy and the Empowerment Foundation, travelling between the Netherlands and China.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Thirteen Days

Thirteen days to go and so much to do... I thought I was well prepared for China. And in a certain way I am. However, just before leaving the Netherlands, a lot of other things come up. For example, tommorrow I have my driving exams. After being 18* for twelve years, I decided to take driving lessons (*age to start driving lessons in Europe). Now, a year later, the time has come to do the thing I have to do and I am not really looking forward to that. Well, I guess that's life and so many others having to undergo this ritual. But I feel like a schoolkid again. Yeah, it's been a while but I still recognize the feeling.

Another thing that happened in these last days before my departure is the fact that blogspot.com is blocked in China! Probably because it is a website that supports free speech and free speech is something that gives the Chinese government headaches. I am still thinking of transferring this site to a, in China visible, site provided by my internet provider in the Netherlands. The blog will be the same, but I just started to get a nice amount of readers and hesitate to give up this account. If I will transfer the site I will let you all know in advance.

Three colleagues of mine of the Empowerment Foundation, that is the group of entrepreneurs that wish to contribute to the development of disadvantaged people (see last contri) have left for China five days ago. In China they will visit minority communities who live in the vicinity of Guizhou, a province in the South-West of China bordering Sichuan and Yunnan. If you click on the map you will find its capital city, Guiyang, on the bottom-left. There they will visit another private school operating along the same principles as the Better Life School of my friend Tom. On February 14th they will visit him too. I was really sorry I couldn't reschedule because they will visit some of the most beautiful places in China (I have never been, till so far). Fortunately, during the 1st of May I have a small holiday and planning to visit Guizhou then. On February 22nd we, that is my three colleagues, Tom and I will meet in Beijing.

My time will come though... and very soon. For the moment I should concentrate on the things that have to be done. Though the coming two weekends should be fun, because I will have two farewell dinners with family and friends respectively. That's worth while staying a little bit longer, isn't it?

Last but not least, I probably most will miss my wife and want to thank her here with the whole world (except China) watching. She so greatly supports me, even though we won't see each other for a long time! Thank you! Below you find a photo of me and Eveline, my wife, taken recently. See you next time!

Marc

At Amsterdam Sloterdijk station 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home