Experiencing China

'Experiencing China' is about ordinary life in China and the wealing and dealing of a Dutchman in the Middle Kingdom. Marc works for DuoArts Consultancy and the Empowerment Foundation, travelling between the Netherlands and China.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Old Horse and Great God Having Dinner

Start of a brand new day (in the mountains in the back you can see what is probably the Great Wall) 



Yesterday I met my good friend Lao Ma (translated 'old horse'). Old horse and I met two years ago when I taught the subject of intercultural communication at the International School of Humanities and Social Sciences (ISHSS) in Amsterdam. We had dinner together and it turned out to be that his dormitory room at the Beijing Daxue (University of Beijing) is only a 20 minute walk from my place.


Lao Ma at Beijing University 



Over our five hour dinner we discussed many things. Along them our names. Old horse told me my second name in Chinese (Da Wei = David) means something like 'great God'. Here I use my second name because so many foreigners in China already use my first name Ma Ke (Marc). Therefore, my teachers will call me Da Wei. Well, I guess I picked out the right name then!


Old man in Mao suit 



Tommorrow I will tell you about my first class. CU!

1 Comments:

Blogger Bicyclemark said...

Great photos Marc! And now I too know a good chinese name for myself!

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home